6/11/2009

Life Sized Gundam invades Tokyo


Celebrating the 30th anniversary of the "reality mecha" anime video, toy, and video game franchise, Bandai built a full size, 60 foot tall Gundam Giant Robot in Tokyo.

Unfortunately it does not move, walk, fight, or launch itself into space.

But it is really cool.

For those of you who have not heard of it, Gundam is the long running series of anime (Japanese Animation) series about "realistic giant robots" that have spawned thousands of model kits, of which my son is an avid collector. There have been several different series, including my favorite all time series title, "War in the Pocket".



What a delight to see a full scale model take shape.

I've been sitting on an article about giant humanoid robots for some time now -- maybe its time to trot it out. I'll just say that I'm generally in favor of giant robots as a concept.

Thanks to Cinematical

UPDATE: there is a cool new way to see this robot that I have to say is very impressive from a lot of perspectives (pun intentional) see the Microsoft PhotoSynth version of this project. Let me know what you think!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please refrain from offensive language. Creative substitutes are encouraged.